Thursday, March 5, 2009

Inkheart

I have been very curious about Amazon.com's recommendations and how accurate they would be. Looking at these as I have bought and rated items through Amazon I have been curious about several books that they think I will like. As I have used this as a resource I have found that it is very obvious what I would not like however there are many that am peak my interest yet I don't know how much I will actually like them. Many series that have been suggested include Septimus Heap, The Sisters Grimm, Nicholas Flamel, Percy Jackson, Charlie Bone, Inkheart, Ember and others. As I have sampled some of these none have really stood out as great books.


Inkheart by Cornelia Funke has had quite a following. It was a best seller and has even been made into a movie. The story is about a Single Father raising his daughter and their love of Books. Mo the father discovers that he has the ability to read things out of books and to the pain of him and his Daughter he reads the villains out of a book called Inkheart.

This story enthralled me because it is a unique take on fantasy and the fantastic elements were not overbearing in the tale until the end. The story flows well and is very interesting but it is not a book that you can't put down. Towards the end of the book many of the fantastic elements (which are not explained clearly) seem to become exaggerated and leave many more questions about the magic that is depicted. This may be a set up for the other books but it seems that even a general explanation would have been welcomed within the book.

Overall a decent book and I will read the other two but I am in no rush to do so.

No comments: