Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows

It has been almost 2 years since this book came out and I read it the first time. I had reread all of the other Harry Potter books before this one was released and when this one did come out I sequestered myself to read it pausing only for a few hours to sleep. Since I had finished I planned on reading it again to pick up on anything that I might have missed and to be able to say that I had read each book twice.

I have also been distancing myself from the Harry Potter Books. As you will notice they are not in my list of favorite books and I do not talk about it much. In part this comes from my desire to not appear trendy. I would much rather appear to be different. However as I started this book again I recognized that it really is a great book. This series deserves a spot along with the most influential works of fantasy books of all time, Lord of the Rings and the Chronicles of Narnia.

The seventh book of the Harry Potter series is one of the best (my favorite is The Goblet of Fire). It is a very satisfying finish to a thrilling and enthralling story. The one disappointment that I had with this book was the chapter called the Princes Tale (or something like that). This is where all of Snape's back story comes out. This section of the book feels like a dumping of information that is fairly overwhelming even the second time around when I know that it is coming.

Overall the Author does a great job of presenting new information that puts everything else we know into perspective. She starts by presenting information about Dumbledore and then continues as we learn about the Deathly Hollows. The chapter call Kings Cross is also an enlightening view on an internal conversation that Harry has with himself (Dumbledore takes the form of the sounding board). And finally the emotions that the Author is able to elicit over the course of the series is amazing as we have come to care for these characters and we learn of their fates at the end of the story, of those that die and that survive.

This is a great series and it is no wonder that these books were so popular. They deserve it.

No comments: