Thursday, March 12, 2009

Fablehaven: Grip of the Shadow Plague

In anticipation of Fablehaven: The Secrets of the Dragon Sanctuary, I figured I would go back and read book 3. I had already reread the first two before 3 came out and just wanted a quick refresher before the next one. Am I glad that I didn't read the other first.

The Rise of the Evening Star is by far my favorite book of the series so far. There are so many scenes from that book that I have embedded in my memory almost as if I had seen them happen myself. Most notably Seth and the Revnant and the final battle with the guardian, an cat with 9 amazing lives. Even now as I talk about it the images in my mind are just breath taking. Reading this book before I picked up the third really tainted by expectations.

The first time I read Grip of the Shadow Plague I was not very thrilled with it. It was good and a decent addition to the series but I didn't walk away with the same types of images as I did after the second. Rereading the book without having read the second one was a revelation. I was impressed with the complexity of the story and the additions to the overall story of the conflict with the Society of the Evening Star.

I am excited to see how the quest for the 5 artifacts continues and how the increasing magical abilities of Seth and Kendra will contribute to this quest. How is Navarog (Prince of the Dragons) going to be involved in the next book, Secrets of the Dragon Sanctuary? Who really is the Sphinx? Is he also a Dragon appearing in Human form? Patton Burgess now knows what kind of conflicts will be facing Fablehaven a hundred years after his time what kind of information is he going to include in his Journal of Secrets that Kendra now has. So many questions I am excited to find the answers to and I hope that we can get a glimpse of some scenes similar to those from book 2.

No comments: