Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

I have always had an appreciation for satire and find comedioc spoofs entertaining when they are done right. However, they are rarely done right. Because of the constant disappointment of these comdies over the past few years (Scary Movie, Date movie, Disaster Movie etc.), I have shied away from the genre for awhile. But when I read a review for Pride and Prejudice and Zombies I though it might be worth trying again.

Seth Grahame-Smith took the origional Jane Austen text and added to it the subplot of a Zombie plague sweeping England. Austens text (from as much as I can tell) is still in tact for the most part however Grahame-Smiths additions tend to appeal to the baser sex (as opposed the the fairer one). Grahame-Smith does play it for laughs as he uses his zombie plot to add over the top violence and gore. He also uses this to add motives to some characters behaviors.

One of the problems with this work, espcially at the begining, the additions were very obvious as writing styles changed. However as the book went on the changes became less obvious to the point where I had to ask some one who had actually read the book if certain things were included. The additions did tend to be entertaining especially the fight scenes between Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy after he proposes (the first time) and then the fight between Lady Catherine de Bourgh and Elizabeth at the end. However the additions did get old after awile and I found myself only reading because I had never read Pride and Prejudice before and that was the story I wanted to read.

No comments: