Friday, July 24, 2009

Bill Peet An Autobiography

When I was young I remember reading the picture books of an incredible author whose pictures and the verses that went along with them were entertaining enough to read over and over again. Now that I have kids of my own I have redicovered this author and shared it with my children. I had known this before but I was reminded of it again when I watched the Sword and the Stone that Bill Peet had also worked at Disney. His animation style is present all throughout the Sword and the Stone and I also catch a glimpse of it in some other Disney Animated Movies. So when I was walking through the library the other day and I saw this book on Display I thought it would be interesting.

The layout of this book was no different than any of his childrens books with about a half page of text and an illistration to accompany it. However it was almost 200 pages long. Even though this was writen to a young audience I found a lot of the information very interesting especially when he started working at Disney. He worked on every disney animated movie from Snow White to Jungle Book, however what I found most interesting were his insights into the origional workings of the Disney Company and his numerous run ins with Walt Disney including his final dispute which led to him quiting to begin writing full time.

This is an amazing story of a boy who began as a talented artist dreaming of illistrating childrens books but was no good at writing. He eventually ends up as an important person within Walt Disney's circle of colleagues. After growing into writing screen plays for annimated movies, he learns how to tell stories and begins a prolific career in writing children books. An excellent story for anyone who enjoys classic Disney annimation and Childrens books.

No comments: