Monday, October 12, 2009

Warbreaker

After reading the Mistborn trilogy I was excited to try another novel by Brandon Sanderson. The first one I was able to get was Warbreaker. I had not heard anything about this book before I just knew the author, but the way this book came about also interested me. Sanderson wrote this as an online book. He would write a chapter and then post it online with a new chapter coming out every week. This is reminiscent of many previous books that were originally published as serials in magazines or newspapers (i.e. Asimnov's Foundation, Dumas' The Count of Monte Cristo and many others).

I really did enjoys this book. Sanderson creates another unique world with a detailed magic system and a rich history that is hinted at throughout the book and revealed more in-depthly towards the end. Twists that should have been expected yet floor the reader are ever present and the conclusion is very fulfilling.

If there is a fault with this book it is in the lack of details that I was expecting. Motivations of some peripheral characters is not very clear and I was hoping for a more detailed explanation of the magic system that is in effect in this world. For whatever faults there are it was still a good book to read.

No comments: