Monday, October 12, 2009

The Lost Symbol

For as much as I enjoy Dan Brown's books I also despise them. The Lost Symbol did not change my perception of Brown's writing abilities. The strength of Brown's books are his research and his ability to extrapolate from that information a world that is so close to being real that many people take his "fictions" as "facts." This is in the purest sense science fiction (which is probably why I still enjoy these books).

What I do not like about Brown's books are the way he cheats to create urgency. Brown writes his novels in the Third person all knowing point of view, however even though the narrator knows everything he does not reveal this very promptly. This is prevalent through out Brown's books and it continued to bother me in this one. Brown could still create this same sense of urgency by using a third person limited point of view (similar to Orson Scott Card, Brandon Sanderson, Shannon Hale, Stephanie Meyer, JK Rowling and many other). By using third person limited and shifting characters (as Card, Sanderson and Hale do) an author can create just as much urgency as Brown creates without making the reader feel as if he is being cheated information.

If I were to compare this to Brown's other books I would place it third behind Angels and Demons and The DaVinci Code but well above his other two (the one nobody has ever heard of).

No comments: