Friday, May 15, 2009

Wizards

It has been a long time since I have read a short story collection and I remember why. Because there is no long term investment in the book it takes me a long time to get through. I can read one story at a time and it does not matter when I come back to it. This can be a pain especially when there are other books that I would like to read.

The only reason that I did pick this one up was because there is a story included in here by Orson Scott Card that he is using to launch a new series of books, and I wanted to get a glimpse of this world. This book also included stories from several authors that I have read as well including Neal Gaiman, Garth Nix and Eoin Colfer. Apart from Card's "Stonefather" there were a couple of other stories that stuck out to me including Colfer's "A Fowl Tale" and Nix's "Holly and Iron." I really enjoyed the latter and would have really liked to see a full novel set in this milieu. Mostly the other stories were unremarkable and the vast differences in writing style was jarring. Especially when I read several in a row.

It might be worth picking a choosing the stories that you read but not to read the whole thing.

No comments: