Friday, May 15, 2009

The Hunger Games

Man did this book catch me off gaurd. I was recommended this by my sister in-law who seems to enjoy the same books that I do and man am I glad that she recommended it (Thanks Kate). The premise sounds interesting in the setting up of a battle to the death amongst teenagers. Though I have heard of this plot in various forms especially in movies I have never actually read anything like this.

The premise of how these games came to be seemed very far fetched (like many of the distopian societies that are created for YA books, i.e. The Uglies) and I was put off by the First person present tense styule in which the book was written. Even as I think back at the story there is nothing very catching or new about it.

What blew me away about this book was both the characterizations and dialogue presented in the writing. The main characters were real and the relationships rang true througout the story. Even the periffrial characters who were little more than characitures are entertaining and even real. The dialogue is very entertaining and also funny in many spots.

This book was very entertaining and I would highly recommend it. I also look forward to finding more of Susanne Collins books to read.

1 comment:

Kate said...

glad you enjoyed it! I'm going to have to read it again sometime before the next one comes out!