Monday, February 9, 2009

The Candy Shop War by Brandon Mull

I picked up this book the other day to reread and even though it is not quite as good as I remembered it I still really like this book. Brandon Mull is one of my favorite YA authors and I have no problem rereading his books. My favorite of his is still the second Fablehaven book but this one is still up there. I really enjoy the way Mull describes the action in his books. He draws me in and I can't wait to see how things will turn out. He is also good with twists in his books however rereading this one I noticed that there are several conversation amongst the characters in the story where pertinent information about the twist would have been shared amongst the characters but it was intentionally left out by Mull to preserve the surprise ending. I do not want to ruin this for those who have not read it but I am share a little bit of information about it. Several times the main characters talk about what magic candy they have left yet not once in any of these conversations does Nate reveal all that he has. That conspicuous neglect on the part of the author was not consistant with the character of Nate and was only left out to preserve the surprise ending. This did not matter the first time I read it but after I knew the results it was a glaring absence. I still really enjoyed the book and will probably read it again some time. I can't wait until Fablehaven 4 comes out in March. I'll have to reread 3 to prepare for it.

No comments: