Thursday, August 20, 2009

Mistborn: The Final Empire, The Well of Ascension, The Hero of Ages

I think that I am getting tired of Young Adult Novels. It is a great Genre but they really are not doing it for me right now. They are the 20 minute sit com when what I am craving is a 3 hour epic. Part of my problem with this is I am very selective of which Adult Fiction books I am going to read because I would really like to avoid some of the more gratuitous material present in so many Adult novels.

When I heard of a recommendation for Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn Trilogy I was interested in trying it out. I have a new author to add to my favorites and will be reading the rest of his books as soon as I can get a hold of them.

These books impressed me not only by the unique world that the author creates but also by the subtle twists that he inserts into the plot. I typically am pretty good at guessing the conclusion and picking up on a lot of the foreshadowing in books. Sanderson has succeeded at embedding these twists so deeply into the story that and they surprised me so much that I was urged to keep reading. Sanderson did not use cheep tricks (like Dan Brown or some other authors) to keep you reading. There was enough information to feel satisfied and yet a constant impulse to continue with the story.

This story, these characters have been ingrained in me so much that I find myself continuing to think about them even a month after finishing this book. There are lines from these books that I continue to think about "There is always another secret," "Unfortunately, I am the Hero of the Ages." There are scenes that were so moving that I still think about them. In short this is an amazing story that goes against convention and is surprisingly very very good.

No comments: