Thursday, November 13, 2008

Proposition 8 Backlash

I greatly respect everyone's right to express their opinion. I also appreciate our democratic processes which allow us to demonstrate the voice of the people in the administration of our laws. This is one of the founding principles on which our country was established. However one principle that has often been overlooked is that of accepting the will of the people as long as that will does not impinge on the basic rights of others.

Our constitution, our laws and our elected officials are established by the will of the people and as the will of the people I believe it is my duty to obey, honor and sustain them whether I agree with them or not. This does not mean that I will not exercise my constitutional right to challenge and work to change the laws or officials with whom I may not agree, and this I will do following the legally established process. This is actually the first problem I have with the genesis of Proposition 8 in the state of California.

The people of California passed a law by the voice of the people that defined marriage as being between a man and a woman. An elected executive whose job it is to enforce the laws that have been enacted decided to defy the will of the people and began to marry same gender couples in a heavily publicized ceremony. It does not matter where your beliefs lie in this situation, the fact remains that someone who was supposed to enforce the laws intentionally broke that law just to prove a point, and because he was able to win the case when it went to court he faced no legal consequences.

Our Justice department is designed to protect the rights of the minority, but those in the Executive branch of government have no right to defy legislation just to promote a cause. The executive branch of government should enforce these laws and let the people take these issues up in the justice department. Talk about a waste of government money when one government entity sues another and we get stuck with the bill.

The people then proceed to pass another proposition over riding the Courts decision and this has now been taken back to the courts for them to decide the legality of it again. I am glad that these people are able to pursue all of their legal options. What has bothered me the most the past few days is the repercussions that come against those that supported proposition 8. The demonstrations and rallies are acceptable forms of free speech. I do wonder why it appears that the LDS church is the only one that is being targeted but that is their right. But when these demonstrations spill over to impeding someone right to exercise their religion (as it did in LA) than things are going too far. Even worse are these few people who have committed acts of vandalism against LDS chapels, presumably in opposition of the churches position on Proposition 8. Please keep your demonstrations within legal bounds and continue to seek you recourses through acceptable means, and if the voice of the people continue to oppose you, accept your lot while continuing to work through these legal means.

On another note, I have been skeptical of accusations of broad based media bias however I do find many instances of bias in specific new stories. In a recent story I read in the Ogden, Ut Standard Examiner there was a line that really demonstrated bias towards the LDS church. The article was about a presumed recrimination against the LDS church in Colorado. A Book of Mormon was set on fire on the front steps of an LDS Chapel. In the opening line of the story this crime was called a "bias-motivated arson." Excuse me but is not that the definition of a Hate Crime! I am not prepared to call the author of this article biased, s/he could have been trying to use flowery and unconventional descriptive language to describe the situation. To me however this downplays the seriousness of a crime that was perpetrated against a religious organization soley because it is. If anyone had called the burning of the flag at the house of a Black family after Barak Obama was elected president a "bias-motivated arson," many people would be very upset at how it is being portrayed.

1 comment:

Johnson Family said...

I can totally understand how you feel. I don't understand why some people do what they do. I know it's frustrating to me to watch people do things when there are better/more effective ways of getting your desires known.

I feel bad for everyone that has received bad vibes/actions from others in reguards to this. Can't we just accept what the people have deemed and move on?